Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Things that don't go bump in the night

Good thing we don't go to bed very early--you miss so much if you do ;-) I was just ready to read to the kids before bedtime last night when my mom called and said it was party time--the Night Blooming Cirrus was blooming. If you have never seen a night bloomer, it's a cactus plant that has the most spectacular, huge, fragrant, white blooms. Each bud only opens once, after dark, and it will be closed by the time you get up in the morning. Mom had been at my house, and when she walked back in to her house, she could smell the flower. Actually, we found 3. Nothing like pictured in the above link--can you imagine THAT many??? The most we ever had at once was 14, when I was a teen--we had a big party that night!

As we were heading back across the lawn to our house, the International Space Station passed right over our heads. I read on Friday that it's supposed to be visible a lot this month--that was accurate info, evidently ;-) I see that if we go out a bit after 10 tonight we should see it again, so maybe we'll give that a try. We have a lot of tall trees around our house so it has to be directly overhead for a good view. To see when it might be visible from your neck of the woods in the next couple of weeks, check the Human Space Flight Orbital Tracking page.

So, my word of advice for your Sunday is: go out after dark, you never know what you'll see ;-)

1 comment:

tomzgrrl said...

Bunkport (my dad) has one of those cactus plants. He only gets one blossom a year. I sent him the link to make him jealous! I guess it's not bad, for Pennsylvania, to get a blossom!