Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, August 03, 2008

My "Before I Turn 40" Resolution

OK, maybe it's not a resolution, because those are meant to be broken, right? And I don't mean to break this. So, it's decided. It's not a resolution. It's a way of life. A change for the better. I can't let myself go any longer--and I can't give excuses and wait for other people (my dh, my children) to be healthy with me. If they want to, fine--if they don't want to, I'm not letting that stop me. I already eat pretty healthy, but exercise has been my downfall. I really enjoy bicycling. Always have, since I was a teenager. And I've decided that I'm going to ride again, for my own health and enjoyment. I'm trying to get at least a 30 minute bike ride on the Rail Trail every day that I can. I'm not setting a goal of so many days per week, because that just doesn't always work out. My goal is to ride every day that I can--THAT works for me. Sometimes I'm by myself...sometimes one or two children join me. Whichever way is fine with me. It's the time duration that counts for me now, not the distance I go (that 50 extra pounds behind me with a kid on a co-pilot shortens the distance, ya know ;-) I fell better for finally getting regular exercise. And I dare not hope...but...ya know, my pants and shorts feel a bit looser on me than they used to. Not complaining at all!

Now where's the cattle prod for my dh's behind? He's the one who NEEEEEEEDS the exercise, for his heart and his weight and a bunch of other things that would be improved. But I'm not letting him hold me back anymore. Yay for me!

1 comment:

Laura K. said...

Hey, good for you! You know, I started riding again this summer, too. I have some friends who are training for a triathalon coming up in August, and they asked if I wanted to bike ride with them. As a group we go once/week, but I've really enjoyed it and have started venturing out on my own. There's a website I found called mapmyride where you can put in your own route and find out how far it is, what the elevation gains are, and even enter it into your own training log to find out calories burned. You can also search for other routes in your area. My friends got me to ride 16 miles last week, something I thought I could never possibly do, but I did it! I'm easily 60lbs overweight, and I kept up with my skinny girlfriends on roadbikes. So there! LOL! And I didn't even hurt the next day. So now I'm tentatively setting a goal of doing the Seattle-to-Portland ride next July. We shall see! Maybe you and I can check in with each other now and then?