Bible Verse of the Day

Friday, February 27, 2009

Teaching common sense

Where has common sense gone? I have to wonder sometimes...although the "lack of" is job security for me and my dh! As we say, "There ain't no cure for stupid!" Anyway, I stopped at an accident last night. It was raining cats and dogs. To set the scene...the expressway has a crossover due to bridge construction, and there's a spot that collects water when it rains. It's clearly signed. Those yellow diamonds (ya know, WARNING signs!) that say "Water over road" do mean something. I think. Anyway, so this chick plowed thru the flooded roadway at 60 mph and spun out. She TOLD me the speed limit was posted 60 mph so that's how fast she was driving. Ummmmmmmmmm, right. That's where I wonder what has happened to common sense? Ya know, that little voice that whispers to you that perhaps you should slow down and drive in a prudent manner, as dictated by road conditions? Doi!

One good thing about those lacking common sense is that it affords excellent opportunities for us to teach common sense to our kids. We often discuss incidents like this, in terms of how a particular situation could be avoided, or what could be done differently. Hopefully by the time my kids are of the age of majority, we'll have drummed at least a shred of common sense into them and they'll actually REMEMBER what we've taught them!

No comments: