Bible Verse of the Day

Monday, November 20, 2006

My dd's sermonette at church

I thought I'd post a copy of the sermonette my dd gave as part of the youth program at church last week.

"Agnes was born in Albania in 1910. At the age of 12 she knew God wanted her to help the poor. At age 17 she went to India to teach school. At age 35 she took medical training and began work in Calcutta. In 1979 she won the Nobel Peace Prize. Agnes, now known as Mother Teresa, gave up home and possessions, but not her heart in order to do what God wanted her to do. She gave food and shelter to dying people who had been rejected. She did it lovingly and cheerfully.

This reminds me of Jesus.

Jesus never rejected anyone or hurt anyone. Here are some things Jesus did do: He did a lot of miracles.
He healed the blind, He healed cripples and lepers, and He raised the dead.
He taught by reading Scripture and telling what it meant. And He prayed.
He loved us and died for us. This was unselfish.

Michael Weiskoph is a TIME news reporter. He was in a Humvee in Irag when a grenade landed in the truck. He instantly picked it up, and in the process it blew up and he lost his right hand. Even though he lost his hand, he saved 4 lives.

This reminds me of the text John 15:13—“Greater love has no one than, this that he lay down his life for his friends”.

Does this remind you of how Jesus showed us that God loves us?

Romans 8:39--Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 12:10--Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Romans 13:9--The commandments, do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, and whatever commandments there may be, are summed up in this one rule: love your neighbor as yourself.

Loving our neighbor means treating everyone like you would like to be treated.

Love is to be like a child saying “I love you” to someone special
--to surprise someone by doing something they’re not expecting
--getting busy with what you are supposed to do
--obeying God or others you trust
--voluntarily babysitting your brother
--when you make a new friend
--being unselfish: thinking of others first
--and accepting anyone who God loves

1 Corinthians chapter 13 describes love. Verse 11 tells me that while I am a child, I will talk like a child, I will think like a child, I will reason like a child. I am learning as I grow. When I am grown I will put childish ways behind me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, Sue! Absolutely awesome. You've got such writer/speaker on your hands. I just found your blog.