Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, June 07, 2008

My dd's sermonette from church

Friendship is a highly valued gift from God. I’d be lost without my friends. They give me advice, pray for me, and help me when I need it. You need friends for everything you do. Psalm 109:4, 5 shares, “In return for my friendship, they accuse me; but I am a man of prayer. They repay evil for good, and hatred for friendship.” Think about that!

Do you have any close friends? I hope that inside your heart, your best friend is Jesus. To be honest, sometimes I get angry at my friends. They say or do something you don’t like, and you just BLOW UP! Proverbs 12:16 says, “A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” The person or thing that leads us astray could be one of our best friends—OR a computer, a book, TV and movies, or a painting or drawing that is not uplifting. There are all kinds of wicked or bad things that you have to look out for.

A good example is David and Bathsheba. He had many wives; she had a husband. I can’t imagine the guilt, pain, and crying that went on between them as a result of their actions. They loved each other, but they did not have to give into temptation. They could have just remained friends. But instead, they were lovers.

To illustrate my point of view, I’ve written a short story, entitled “I’d Rather Eat Spinach.”

Ally pushed open the door of the Dairy Queen and walked over to her friend’s table. Amber looked up from her milkshake just long enough to flash her “trouble” grin. “Uh-oh” thought Ally. But instead, she said “What’s up?”

Amber pulled out a box. “Cigarettes!”

“How am I ever going to get myself out of this one?” thought Ally. “Where did you get those,” she asked?

I’m not telling,” said Amber. “Let me finish my shake and we’ll go smoke a couple.”

“No way! I’d rather eat spinach,” cried Ally, as she ran out of the Dairy Queen.

Just as the story illustrates, you need to choose your friends carefully, and make sure they won’t try to get you to do something displeasing to God. Think about who your closest friends are. Then tell them that they are special. Pray for them, or help them with something. That will make both you and them feel good.

I don’t know who YOUR best friend is, but mine—he’s in heaven, and his name is Jesus.

1 comment:

Karen said...

What wonderful thoughts about friendships! I have a couple of good friends, but they are so many miles away. This is something I struggle with. The Lord is my absolute best friend, then my DH, but I still long for friends nearby to hang out with and encourage.