Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Is it wrong?

My kids are both in a stage production this summer. The play is entitled "Auschwitz Echoes." You can guess what it's about. Anyway, the night of the first read-thru of the play, they met me at my work with their scripts. One of my co-workers was saying she'd like to bring her kids to see the play. A supervisor was standing there, and he was just horrified that a) my kids would be in something with "Auschwitz" in the title; and b) that my co-worker would consider taking her kids to see said play!

This really set me to thinking. How can it be wrong to teach children about past history, in hopes of not repeating that history in the future? How can it be wrong to teach children that bad things have happened to good people, but that there were people who cared enough to try and help as many of those people as they could, even tho that perilous to them? It's amazing how society in general can think that kids need to go to school to "learn to deal with the real world, how to deal with bullies," and other things they're exposed to in school--yet heaven forbid we learn about something horrendous that happened in the past.

As for me and my kids, we've read some very interesting age-appropriate books about the holocaust, and Auschwitz, and we've definitely had good dialogue about what happened and why, and the fact that genocide still happens in the world today. I hope and pray that I am raising children who will grow up to abhor violence, and who will be gentle and caring, and who will care enough about others to maybe be involved in humanitarian efforts somewhere, someday.

No comments: