Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Homeschooling--A Look Forward

I’m wrapping up Home Education Week with a look forward. The time I have left to homeschool my kids is so short. Only 12 years left. What will I do with myself when it’s all over? Well, I’m sure I’ll suddenly rediscover large chunks of time that I used to have, and that have been swallowed up by learning with my kids. While I’ll miss mentoring my kids one-on-one, it will be fun to have time to clean my house (ick!) or re-enjoy some hobbies, such as quilting, cross-stitch, reading books that I want to read when I want to read them, yardwork puttering. I have a dream, too, that maybe I’ll do something interesting like develop and write curriculum, including something along the Music Appreciation lines.

More current and to the point, in our own homeschooling experience, I hope to relax even more than I already am. My box-checking tendencies tend to diminish as the years go by, but I still find myself pushing my kids too much. As I’ve told others, education is a lifelong prospect, not a sprint for the finish line. What they don’t learn at home with me, they’ll have plenty of opportunities to absorb as part of life.

The #1 thing I hope to instill in my children thru all of this is a love for Jesus and compassion for fellow human beings. Life in Eternity with my family at my side will be the ultimate “arrival” for us.

2 comments:

Heather said...

It goes quick, doesn't it.

Brumbemom said...

Great Goals! Thanks for sharing.