Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Ultimate Heart Attack

One year ago today, my dh had a heart attack and had a stent put into his heart to open up a nearly blocked artery. The experience gave him a lot to think about, and a lot of time to think while he recovered. I've been so proud of the changes he was willing to make in his life. He started by giving up meat and following the kids and me in our vegetarian lifestyle. He's even willing to try new things (as long as it's not tofu, LOL!) and we've found some new tasty food items as a result. He's never been one to exercise, but he's been trying, and we've been able to enjoy many walks together. The experience drew him and our children closer together--he realized that he might have never seen them again had he died, and they realize that they came close to losing their daddy. My heart swells every time I see them enjoying each other.

The biggest change is his Ultimate Heart Attack, however. He began thinking about God more after his heart attack. He even got a Bible of his own--the first one he'd ever owned. I'd catch him reading it sometimes when he thought I didn't know it. He became more serious in attending church with the kids and me, and for the first time, was interested in participating in Bible study. For the past few weeks he's attended Bible meetings--his choice--and he's made the decision to follow God, and to be baptized and join my church. Today--the anniversary of his heart attack--is his big day. I'm so happy, to think think that the man I love will be following the Jesus I know and we will be walking together after all of these years.

1 comment:

Karen said...

That is so... awesome, Sue! I was thinking it has been about a year since his heart attack. How fitting that he'd be baptized on the 1st anniversary of his heart attack. God is so good.