Bible Verse of the Day

Friday, September 06, 2013

Holy, Holy, Is What the Angels Sing

Holy, Holy, Is What the Angels Sing
Text written in 1894 by Johnson Oatman, Jr (1856-1922)
Hymn tune composed by John R. Sweeney (1837-1899)

Revelation 5:11, 12 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they were saying: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”

V. 1 There is singing up in heaven such as we have never known,
Where the angels sing the praises of the Lamb upon the throne;
Their sweet harps are ever tuneful and their voices always clear,
O that we might be more like them while we serve the Master here!

Isaiah 6:3 And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”

Refrain: Holy, holy, is what the angels sing,
And I expect to help them make the courts of heaven ring;
But when I sing redemption's story, they will fold their wings,
For angels never felt the joys that our salvation brings.

Revelation 5:9 And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation."

Revelation 7:14 I answered, “Sir, you know.” And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."

Revelation 19:8 Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.

V. 2 But I hear another anthem, blending voices clear and strong,
"Unto Him who hath redeemed us and hath bought us," is the song;
We have come thro' tribulations to this land so fair and bright,
In the fountain freely flowing He hath made our garments white.
Refrain

Matthew 25:21 His master replied, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!"

V. 3 Then the angels stand and listen, for they cannot join that song,
Like the sound of many waters, by that happy, blood-washed throng;
For they sing about great trials, battles fought and vict'ries won,
And they praise their great Redeemer, who hath said to them, "Well done."
Refrain

Jeremiah 33:8 I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me.

V. 4 So, although I'm not an angel, yet I know that over there
I will join a blessed chorus that the angels cannot share;
I will sing about my Savior, who upon dark Calvary
Freely pardoned my transgressions, died to set a sinner free.
Refrain

No comments: