Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Curriculum Planning

I've been planning science curriculum for ds4. He's too smart for his britches, but don't tell HIM that ;-) We didn't buy some of the science books from Sonlight Pre-K because they were things he already knew (shapes and opposites). Not using those opened up a big gap in the schedule, that I needed to fill. Then, last week, we started on the Usborne What's Under the Sea book, which they have scheduled to read 1 page a day. I know he'll never go for that slow pace, so I'll read him 2 pages a day, from that one and Why do Tigers Have Stripes? So that'll be opening up an even bigger gap in the schedule. So, here's the plan.

I've ordered a couple of activity books, which we'll flesh out with library books, so we'll get some reading and some paper or hands-on activities each day. The activity books are
Ready to Learn--Beginning Science from Incentive Publications, and Learning to be a Scientist from the Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids series. (Both sites have page-by-page samples so you can see the scope and content of the books.) I'm getting both workbooks from Rainbow Resource where they're less expensive, of course ;-) I have a list of library books to get that will correlate with the topics covered in the workbooks. Hopefully ds4 will find them to be interesting. I guess we'll just go at our own pace. If we need more, I'll get more from the ScienceWorks series. I'd imagine 2 books should fill up the remainder of the year, tho I don't know exactly how many weeks that will be yet. I just know I had to do something! Good thing I'm at work this weekend, so I had time to get it all figured out :-)

No comments: