Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Guess it just wasn't in the stars!

My Adventurer Club kids are earning their astronomy award. I guess looking thru a telescope to see some planets, stars, and constellations, just wasn't meant to be! We had a party last night at my house, and wouldn't you know, it totally clouded over as it got dark :-( Waaaaa! Oh well, we had a good time anyway. Only one of the club members was unable to make it...and one mom brought two extras, so it all evened out in the end. Lots of good munchie food...hot chocolate and hot cider, pumpkin dip that was a big hit, etc. The fire kept us warmish, well, those of us that didn't feel the need to race around like wild children in the dark ;-) My dad did a little talk on the universe for the kids, so it wasn't all lost. Oh, and in case you're wondering, no party is complete without decorations, right? I had a black tablecloth with gold and silver star confetti on it, plus a star centerpiece for the table, and I had silver and gold cut-out stars (about 5" stars) hanging. Actually dd9 hung the stars. She hung 3 of them from the clothesline, and they were really cool. They were moving with the breeze and catching the light of the fire and they really sparkled in the dark! The party store had them for 69 cents each...much easier, imho, than cutting stars from cardboard and covering them with tin foil. Yea, much much easier. We also hung a gold star-shaped mylar balloon from the mailbox to mark the spot where the party was. All in all, it turned out well. I'm glad I didn't opt to try for next week to do the party, because it looks like the weather will be rainy and even colder.

3 comments:

Jim and Ivie Baker said...

Hey Sue! Thanks for sending me your blog link. Remind me from time to time when you add new stuff. When I get busy, I tend to get side tracked. Awesome Blog!

sis said...

sorry to hear the "real" stars were missing, but the party sounded like a success despite that setback! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Sounds like a really fun party for your little people. You might want to try stargazing during the colder winter months when the sky is clearer and the nights come earlier.

I've enjoyed reading your blog and have only one comment. Green print is really hard to see for older eyes like mine. So if you really need green print, I suggest you go to your color wheel/palette and darken the green.

OK, another comment. The recipe sounds wonderful. Too bad I'm cooking impared when it comes to anything other than gingersnaps. Guess who.