Bible Verse of the Day

Friday, March 07, 2008

Inspiring Woman

I stumbled across the little-known explorer Alexandra David-Neel at the library the other day. She was the first western woman to enter Tibet. I plan to read more about her life, which seems so exotic and fascinating. My library booklist just got longer, again ;-)

Oh, and as an aside--I was chuffed when dd10 knew the location of Lhasa when I asked her (it's the capitol of Tibet, in case you didn't know ;-) Yay, some of this stuff is sinking in!

2 comments:

Laura K. said...

If you're at all interested in a modern day female explorer, I highly suggest checking out http://www.helenthayer.com We had Helen come speak at one of our homeschool group meetings, and she was really inspiring. I've read a few of her books now, and I highly recommend Walking the Gobi - great recount of the the geography and culture of Mongolia. My kids enjoyed Polar Dream, and really want me to start reading Three Among the Wolves to them.

vegiemama said...

Thanks for the recommendations--those sound like interesting books. Checking to see if the library has them!