Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Life before I was a homeschooling mom...


The challenge on Principled Discovery this week is to celebrate Home Education Week by blogging. Sounds like a great way to celebrate, if you ask me.

So.........what was that I said about life before being a homeschooling mom? Well, there was life as a homeschooled teen. Yea, back in the dark ages, aka "The 80s" when hsing in my state wasn't legal and we had to jump thru all sorts of silly hoops like having my curriculum "approved" by the teachers of the local public school, and having a certified teacher "tutor" me in every subject. Anybody who knows anything about hsing knows that those are silly, and even, unnecessary hoops to have to jump thru. Thank goodness the laws have changed drastically and we're now free to educate our children in the manner best suited to their learning styles and personalities.

So anyway, it was back in the 80s that I decided that when God blessed me with the title of Mom, that I wanted to hs my children. Luckily for me, the love of my life also had that desire, even tho our reasons were initially different. But before kids, we did have a life. I'm pretty sure it was a boring existence however, because there's just nothing like the adventures parenting can bring. I can remember fitting my schedule to my dh's odd work schedule more, so you might find us both sleeping during the day, and I'd be up cooking and cleaning and sewing for half of the night. I can remember being able to play cards with him, without some little person wanting to play. I think that when I went to bed in the evening, I used to read to myself. Silently, that is ;-) There was a time when I used to wear white clothing because there was no one to sully it.

Do I miss any of this? Nope...Not. At. All. Life is so much richer as a parent. There is no emptiness in our family or our hearts. Children have filled the voids. I had no idea that my own horizons would be greatly expanded by being my childrens' learning facilitator. Who'd have thought an adult could learn something from kindergarten!!! Twice, in fact. I wouldn't trade my world for any other. It's perfect just the way it is.

6 comments:

Marbel said...

Really enjoyed reading your story.

Anonymous said...

I like the term learning facilitator ~

Hanley Family said...

That is great! I love reading about those who were homeschooled themselves who chose to homeschool their own children.

And I like the term learning facilitator also!

Heather said...

Life is much richer as a parent than before isn't it. It is amazing how much it changes us.

Andrea said...

I don't miss anything before homeschooling either. This was a great post!

~Andrea
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/andijeane/507524/

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your story. I often wonder if my own children will one day opt to homeschool their children. I liked all the memories you shared about life before children...playing cards with your dh, wearing white and reading in bed (silently!) I actually lol at that one...I will get into bed with every intention of reading one of my books and wind up reading to my little ones instead. But I wouldn't change it for the world. Have a great Home Education Week! Julie