Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, September 01, 2007

5 year old in 5th grade!

Eeks! Well, ok, not quite. But ds5 sure thinks he should be included in the school of higher learning! So today, dd10 was doing some mapwork of Japan. Ds5 needed his own map, so I quick copied the map before she started writing on it. Then he wanted to know what to write! Thank goodness for answer keys, because I was working with HER and didn't have time to sit and spell out words for HIM to write. I just vaguely pointed in the direction of the map key in my notebook, and said "just write those words on your map!" Well, that kept him very busy and very quiet for quite some time. When he tired of writing words (little words like Hiroshima, and North Pacific Ocean, etc) I pointed out the symbols on the map and he drew those (triangles for mountains, anchors [which flummoxed him a bit, LOL] for seaports, and fireworks for Hiroshima and Nagasaki) plus filled in his map key. I dare say, his map looks almost as good as dd10's with the exception that his letters are bigger so he couldn't fit quite as much on ;-) Oh, and he also insisted that he needed to draw the Japanese flags. He was quite dismayed to find out that it was just a red circle, LOL, so he drew the rectangle around it "because sister's has a rectangle around it too, mommy" (that would be the box she was to draw the flag in on her worksheet, but hey, I'm not a stickler for detail ;-)

Anyway, in case you were worried LOL, he's just as cute and smart as ever!

2 comments:

Laura K. said...

LOL about his disappointment in the simplicity of the flag of Japan! I'm loving having my younger one in on the hs action, too. It's amazing what they pick up on.

Hey - thanks for the links you posted over on my blog. We'll have to check out that webcam during daylight hours! :P
Laura

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

We have a 5yo in 4th and 6th grades. He's a multi-graded copy cat. LOL But they sure do pick up a lot when they sit in with the higher grades.