Bible Verse of the Day

Thursday, September 06, 2007

How to dazzle your family in the culinary department!

Fix 'em some lentils to eat. Yep, that's easy, huh? I had this recipe for Mexican Lentil Casserole that I used to make sometimes BC (before children) but haven't made in--oh--forever. 8-10 years, easily. So the other day I ran across some lentils and decided to make it today. And my kids LOVED it. Talk about a shock--I figured they'd barely touch it!

OK, so here is the recipe, now that I've tickled your tastebuds.

4 cups water
1 cup lentils
1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced

Bring to a boil in a saucepan and cook until the lentils and rice are done. Stir in:

1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 tsp chili powder

Pour into a casserole dish and back 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and cover the top with shredded cheddar cheese; let sit 5 minutes. Serve as a main dish, or as a yummy dip with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thank you! I'm going to have to try that one! I know you'll cringe hearing this, but I bet that would be good with some ground beef in it too. So hard when you have one kid who will only eat meat and one who will only eat veggies!