Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Plans awry

Did you ever have one of those days where everything you'd planned just doesn't happen? Or at least, it doesn't happen the way you'd envisioned it happening! I'm trying to learn to relax and let life happen. Really I am, I'm trying! So, here's how I envisioned my day today.

  • Wake up around 2 pm (I worked last night)
  • Shower and have a light snack
  • Get together items needed for Adventurer Club Monday, so I don't forget anything!
  • Do school with dd10 (and actually FINISH!)
  • Make dinner and eat with my family before going to work

Sounds nice and easy, right? But no, I got up and nobody was even home! DH needed to get a prescription filled and even tho dd10 kept telling him they needed to get going, he procrastinated and put off going. They got home about the time I was getting out of the shower. And they were hungry because it was 2 pm and they hadn't had LUNCH yet. Bye bye nice easy "mom plans!" Here's how the day actually went!

  • Woke up about 12:30 and couldn't sleep anymore, argh!
  • Got up about 1:20 after tossing and turning for 50 minutes
  • Informed by family that they need lunch
  • Got together Adventurer items, so I don't forget anything!
  • Decided to make a late lunch/early dinner, so we can at least eat together!
  • Cook my famous mac 'n cheese casserole and make salads and we finally sit down to eat about 3 pm
  • Phone rings while we are eating, with an invitation to meet a friend from church at the nearby beach if we're available
  • Throwing caution to the wind, I decide to be spontaneous and accept the invitation
  • 3:30 finds us on our bikes heading to the beach
  • Weather was absolutely gorgeous. Water was brrrrrrrr chilly ;-) I laid on the beach while friend played with my children. She really needs grandchildren, LOL.
  • Back home about 4:45
  • School started at 5 and ended at 6:30, just in time for me to leave for work

There, now didn't that just fit in there nicely???? I told my dh that if things had gone according to MY plans, we'd have been right in the middle of school and I still would have had to fix dinner, so I probably would have turned down the beach invite. As it was, I knew we'd have time to fit everything in, so it all worked out perfectly.

Lesson learned--be flexible and have fun! Should I make that my new motto?

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a great post! I needed that after the days I've had with a rambunctious 2 yr old. It seems like plans go "out the window" daily. "Be flexible and have fun", huh?