Bible Verse of the Day

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah

Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
Text written in 1745 by William Williams (1717-1791)
Stanza 1 translated by Peter Williams (1722-1796), Stanzas 2 & 3 translated by the author
Sung to the tune CWM RHONDDA, composed by John Hughes (1873-1932)


Nehemiah 9:19, 20 Because of your great compassion you did not abandon them in the wilderness. By day the pillar of cloud did not fail to guide them on their path, nor the pillar of fire by night to shine on the way they were to take. You gave your good Spirit to instruct them. You did not withhold your manna from their mouths, and you gave them water for their thirst.

V. 1 Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
Feed me till I want no more, 
Feed me till I want no more.

(See Nehemiah 9:19, 20 above)

Psalm 18:2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

V. 2 Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through;
Strong deliverer, strong deliverer.
Be Thou still my strength and shield,
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

Jeremiah 12:5 If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?

V. 3 When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death and hell's destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan's side;
Songs of praises, songs of praises
I will ever give to Thee,
I will ever give to Thee.


No comments: