Bible Verse of the Day

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

On Jordan's Stormy Banks

On Jordan's Stormy Banks
Text written in 1787 by Samuel Stennett (1727-1795)
Sung to the hymn tune PROMISED LAND from William Walker's "Southern Harmony", 1835

Joshua 3:15 Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge....

V. 1 On Jordan's stormy banks I stand,
And cast a wishful eye
To Canaan's fair and happy land,
Where my possessions lie.

Revelation 15:3 ...and sang the song of God’s servant Moses and of the Lamb:
“Great and marvelous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty. Just and true are your ways, King of the nations."

Refrain: I am bound for the promised land,
I am bound for the promised land;
O who will come and go with me?
I am bound for the promised land.

Revelation 21:22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 

V. 2 O'er all those wide extended plains
Shines one eternal day;
There, Christ, the Sun, forever reigns,
And scatters night away.
Refrain

Revelation 22:4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 

V. 3 When shall I reach that happy place,
And be forever blest:
when shall I see my Father's face,
And in His kingdom rest?
Refrain

V. 4 Filled with delight, my raptured soul
Would here no longer stay;
Though Jordan's waves around me roll,
Fearless I'd launch away.
Refrain

No comments: