Bible Verse of the Day

Friday, March 16, 2007

You know it's almost spring when...

Spring fever hits! It's been ccccold but sunny and it just looks so inviting outdoors, at least until your nose gets red as you step out the door ;-)



This week held the annual leaving of the ice. A river borders our property, tho we're on a high bank and don't have a direct view of it unless it floods onto the woods on the other side. Anyway, Wednesday morning when I got home from work, dd9 met me, excited that the ice was going out. Well, actually it wasn't, quite yet. It as jammed up on a few bends and waiting to break free. Looked like it got pretty thick, probably a good 6-8" (which is good, if you knew the geography of "our" river ;-) About 1/2 hr after I went to bed, they said it creaked and groaned and cracked and it all broke free. My dad and the kids were eating their breakfast outside by the maple syrup cooking fire. (This is last year's picture.)

So they left their breakfast and watched the ice, and then ran over to the neighbor's and watched the same ice floe pass in front of their house, then came back to cold waffles ;-) Hey, whatever, they were having fun, right? And I love their little "traditions" with Poppa--eating breakfast by the fire, getting excited over the ice going out of the river, helping with sap collection, and just all of those fun things that we love to drop school and run out to do.

2 comments:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

very cool - I've never seen an ice floe. And waffles outdoors while making syrup sounds like a wonderful tradition!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. We never did have a winter. It's been sunny and in the 70s her this week. I can't imagine having ice in March. :-)