Bible Verse of the Day

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy 2008!

2008 Balloons

Yep, it's that time of the year again. January 1st! Rolls around once a year, doesn't it? This January 1st is a beautiful one. First of all, I awoke to a beautiful, peaceful, white covering of snow. Not very much, but enough to cover the ugly brown spots and remind me of how my friend Jesus covers my ugly spots with his purity as well. He's going to help me have less ugliness and more purity in my life this year. I'm at work, but I've spoken on the phone with the love of my life, my dh. We had a difficult year last year because of his health issues, but it ended up being a wonderful year because we've drawn so much closer to each other as a result. We appreciate each other more, and we see eye-to-eye on more things than we used to. Out of catastrophe, God is sure to bring good, if we let him.

I've had the privilege of watching my children grow and learn last year. They've changed so much in such a short time. DD10 has matured in so many ways. She's still my little girl--she'll always be that--but she's starting to understand "grown-up things" and share in more of my life. I can honestly say that we're friends and I hope we stay that way forever. The highlight of her year was her baptism in the lake, committing herself to Jesus. DS5 is a 25 year old trapped in a little boy's body. He is such a delightful boy. He can be so serious one instant, and a clown the next instant. He is openly affectionate to so many people. He is still innocent, yet has so much knowledge already stored up in that little head of his. The world is at his fingertips, and he doesn't even know it yet!

Here is my New Year gift to you:

He came to my desk with quivering lip-
The lesson was done;
"Dear teacher, I want a new leaf," he said,
"I have spoiled this one."

I took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave him a new one all unspotted,
And into his sad eyes smiled,
"Do better, now, my child."

I went to the throne with quivering soul
The old year was done.
"Dear God, hast Thou a new leaf for me?
I have spoiled this one."

God took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave me a new one all unspotted,
And into my sad heart smiled,
"Do better, now, my child."

--Carrie Shaw Rice--