Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Class Privileges meme

I saw this meme on speakinglife blog, and thought it interesting. As Americans, we tend to compare ourselves to those in the social class above us, which can blind us to our own class privileges, especially if we grew up of modest means. This exercise provides a way to think about our privileges in a more objective way.

Speakinglife found it on the Friendly Mama blog. Anyone who wishes to participate is encouraged to do so. Just leave a comment on the Social Class and Quakers blog and include an acknowledgment that the meme is based on an exercise developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University

I've bolded the statements that are true for me.

Father went to college Yes
Father finished college Yes, and graduate school
Mother went to college Yes
Mother finished college Yes, and graduate school
Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor Distant cousin is a doctor, also a cousin who is an attorney but he somehow became higher and mightier than the rest of the family so I haven't had contact with him in years :-(
Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers Well, duh, I was homeschooled so we were definitely all the same class ;-)
Had more than 50 books in your childhood home Yes
Had more than 500 books in your childhood home Ummmm, maybe--I never counted them!
Were read children's books by a parent Definitely
Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 Yes
Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18 Violin, piano, and cello
The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively And who exactly would these people be????
Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18 Yes
Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs No, I paid for the classes I took myself
Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs I only have a few college credits--I never attended full-time
Went to a private high school Yes, exclusive! I was homeschooled :-)
Went to summer camp Twice. I think it's overrated!
Had a private tutor before you turned 18 Yes, but only because my state forced us to because we were homeschooling. Thank goodness THAT law got overturned and the homeschool laws became MUCH more friendly!
Family vacations involved staying at hotels Only rarely--we usually camped or stayed with relatives
Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18 Yes
Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them No, I bought my own car
There was original art in your house when you were a child Yes--my grandmother is a watercolor artist and also did ceramics for a while, and my father dabbled in artistic photography and printing and framing his own pictures. We never had art that we bought, tho!
Had a phone in your room before you turned 18 Nope
You and your family lived in a single family house Yes
Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home Yes
You had your own room as a child Yes, but not by choice. My sister passed away at the age of three weeks. If she had lived, we would have continued to share our bedroom. I could have had the option of a room in the basement but I never chose to go there. I might have if I'd had to share tho, LOL.
Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course No
Had your own TV in your room in High School No--we didn't even have a TV in the house at all
Owned a mutual fund or IRA in High School or College No
Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 Yes, several times
Went on a cruise with your family No
Went on more than one cruise with your family
Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up Yes, at least occasionally
You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family I don't recall ever knowing.

2 comments:

naturalmom said...

Thanks for taking this on. I enjoyed reading your answers. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. Were you old enough to remember her?

Stephanie

vegiemama said...

Yes, I was--I was 4-1/2, I think. I have a very few memories.