Bible Verse of the Day

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tweaking the curriculum

Again. We can never quite leave things alone, can we, LOL?

Well, we're making a curriculum change. A slight one--not the whole thing, LOL. In fact, I mis-stated it to DD10 and she thought I meant we were going to change to something other than Sonlight--talk about a panicked look on her face. It was tooooo funny! The change will be in writing. The new Sonlight LA is great--it's just not at the right pace for us. So we will keep what we like of it (they have good ideas for brainstorming and visuals, we may do the research paper steps but slowed down to our own pace, and their day 5 optional activities are usually pretty fun) but for creative writing, we need something that won't make us forever feel "behind." We couldn't decide which we liked better, so I ordered both Wordsmith Apprentice and Apologia's new Jump In writing curriculum. I figure we'll intersperse the two and make it fun. DD10 was totally on board with that plan. I just want her to enjoy writing, somewhere, somehow. I hardly recall writing at all when I was in school. I know I was not exposed to the different types of writing at all. I remember doing reports and a few book reports, and that's about it. I know I wrote letters to my grandparents and a few friends, but my parents "made" me do that ;-) I had a hard time writing when I hit high school age--I just hadn't had the instruction. I don't want it to be that way for DD10!

1 comment:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

Those look fun! I especially like Jump In! Let us know how they work. :)