Bible Verse of the Day

Friday, March 22, 2013

At the Cross

At the Cross
Text written by Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Music composed by Ralph E. Hudson (1843-1901)


Psalm 22:6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by everyone, despised by the people.

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

V. 1 Alas, and did my Savior bleed:
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For someone such as I?

Refrain: At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

1 Peter 2:24 "He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed."

V. 2 Was it for crimes that I have done,
He suffered on the tree:
Amazing the pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
Refrain

V. 3 But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
'Tis all that I can do!
Refrain

No comments: