Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, March 02, 2013

Lord of the Sabbath

Lord of the Sabbath
Text is anonymous
Sung to PARK STREET, arranged c. 1810from Frederick M. A. Venua (1788-1872)


Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

V. 1 Lord of the Sabbath and its light,
I hail Thy hallowed day of rest;
It is my weary soul's delight,
The solace of my careworn breast, 
The solace of my careworn breast.

V. 2 O sacred day of peace and joy,
Thy hours are ever dear to me;
Ne'er may a sinful thought destroy
The holy calm I find in thee,
The holy calm I find in thee.
V. 3 How sweetly now they glide along!
How hallowed is the calm they yield!
Transporting is their rapturous song,
And heavenly visions seem revealed,
And heavenly visions seem revealed.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Hebrews 4:9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God.

V. 4 O Jesus, let me ever hail
Thy presence with the day of rest;
Then will Thy servant never fail
To deem Thy Sabbath doubly blest,
To deem Thy Sabbath doubly blest.


No comments: