Bible Verse of the Day

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

O Sacred Head Now Wounded

O Sacred Head Now Wounded
Text attributed to Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153), transcribed in German in 1656 by Paul Gerhardt (1607-1676), and then transcribed in English in 1830 by James W. Alexander (1804-1859)
Sung to PASSION CHORALE, composed in 1601 by Hans Leo Hassler (1564-1612), arranged in 1729 by J.S. Bach (1685-1750)


Matthew 27:29 ...and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said.

V. 1 O sacred head, now wounded,
With grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded
With thorns, Thine only crown:
O sacred head, what glory,
What bliss till now was Thine!
Yet, though despised and gory,
I joy to call Thee mine.

V. 2 What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered
Was all for sinner's gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression,
But Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my savior!
'Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor,
Vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

V. 3 What language shall I borrow 
To thank Thee, dearest friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow,
Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever;
And should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never
Outlive my love to Thee.

No comments: