Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, April 28, 2013

How Sweet the Name!

How Sweet the Name!
Text written in 1779 by John Newton (1725-1807)
Sung to ST. PETER, composed in 1836 by Alexander R. Reinagle (1799-1877)


Song of Solomon 1:3  Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; your name is like perfume poured out. No wonder the young women love you!

V. 1 How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

Proverbs 18:14 The human spirit can endure in sickness,
but a crushed spirit who can bear?

V. 2 It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the troubled breast;
'Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary, rest.

Psalm 3:3 But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
my glory, the One who lifts my head high.

Psalm 32:7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.

V. 3 Dear name, the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding place, 
My never-failing treasury, filled
With boundless stores of grace.

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

Matthew 21:5 Say to Daughter Zion, "See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

John 6:14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 

John 20:28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Hebrews 7:26 Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 

V. 4 Jesus! my Shepherd, Guardian, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King!
My Lord, my life, my way, my end!
Accept the praise I bring.

V. 5 Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see Thee as Thou art,
I'll praise Thee as I ought.

No comments: