Bible Verse of the Day

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need
Text written in 1719 by Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Sung to RESIGNATION, from "Southern Harmony 1835", harmonized by Virgil Thomson (1896-1989) and adapted by Melvin West in 1984 (1930-   )

Psalm 23 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.

He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

V. 1 My Shepherd will supply my need,
Jehovah is His name,
In pastures fresh He makes me feed
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wand'ring spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy's sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

V. 2 When I walk through the shades of death,
Thy presence is my stay;
A word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand in sight of all my foes
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, 
Thine oil anoints my head.

V. 3 The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be mine abode
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest
While others go and come;
No more a stranger or a guest,
But like a child at home.

No comments: