Bible Verse of the Day

Saturday, May 18, 2013

All My Hope on God Is Founded

All My Hope on God Is Founded
Text written by Joachim Neander (1650-1680), translated by Robert Bridges (1844-1930)
Sung to MICHAEL, composed in 1936 by Herbert Howells (1892-1983)


1 Timothy 1:16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 

V. 1 All my hope on God is founded;
He doth still my trust renew,
Me through change and chance He guideth,
Only good and only true.
God unknown, He alone
Calls my heart to be His own.

Proverbs 29:23 Pride brings a person low, but the lowly in spirit gain honor.

V. 2 Pride of man and earthly glory,
Sword and crown betray his trust;
What with care and toil he buildeth,
Tower and temple fall to dust.
But God's power, hour by hour,
Is my temple and my tower.

Psalm 16:11 You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Psalm 92:5 How great are your works, Lord, how profound your thoughts!

V. 3 God's great goodness aye endureth, 
Deep His wisdom, passing thought:
Splendor, light, and life attend Him,
Beauty springeth out of naught.
Love doth stand at His hand;
Joy doth wait on His command.

Heberews 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

V. 4 Still from man to God eternal
Sacrifice of praise be done,
High above all praises praising
For the gift of Christ His Son.
Christ doth call one and all:
Ye who follow shall not fall.

No comments: