Bible Verse of the Day

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Jesus, What a Friend for Sinners

Jesus, What a Friend for Sinners
Text written in 1910 by J. Wilbur Chapman (1859-1918)
Sung to HOLY MANNA from Wm. Moore's "Columbian Harmony, 1825", arr. in 1984 by Wayne Hooper (1920 -    )

Luke 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

V. 1 Jesus! what a Friend for sinner!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.

Refrain: Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving, 
He is with me to the end.

Psalm 143:9 Deliver me, O Lord, from mine enemies: 
I flee unto thee to hide me.

V. 2 Jesus! what a Strength for weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him;
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my vict'ry wins.
Refrain

Psalm 33:20 Our soul waiteth for the Lord: he is our help and our shield.

V. 3 Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows o'er me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.
Refrain

Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins....

V. 4 Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find,
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.
Refrain

No comments: