Bible Verse of the Day

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken

Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken
Text written in 1824 by Henry F. Lyte (1793-1847)
Sung to ELLESDIE, arranged from Mozart in 1873 by Hubert P. Main (1839-1926)

Mark 10:28 Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!”

V. 1 Jesus, I my cross have taken,
All to leave and follow Thee;
All things else I have forsaken;
Thou from hence my all shalt be.
Perish every fond ambition,
All I've sought, or hoped, or known;
Yet how rich is my condition,
While I prove the Lord my own.

Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Revelation 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.

V. 2 Let the world despise and leave me--
They have left my Savior, too;
Human hearts and looks deceive me--
Thou art faithful, Thou art true.
O, 'tis not in grief to harm me,
While Thy love is left to me;
O, 'twere not in joy to charm me,
If that love be hid from me.

1 Thessalonians 5:10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him.

V. 3 Soul, then know thy full salvation;
Rise o'er sin, and fear, and care;
Joy to find in every station
Something still to do or bear.
Think what Spirit dwells within thee;
Think what Father's smiles are thine;
Think that Jesus died to win thee;
Child of Heaven, canst thou repine?

Psalm 48:14 For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.

V. 4 Haste thee on from grace to glory,
Armed by faith and winged by prayer;
Heaven's eternal day's before thee;
God's own hand shall guide thee there.
Soon shall close thy earthly mission,
Soon shall pass thy pilgrim days;
Hope shall change to glad fruition,
Faith to sight, and prayer to praise.

No comments: