Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Jesus, Lover of My Soul

Jesus, Lover of My Soul
Text written in 1740 by Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Sung to MARTYN, composed in 1834 by Simeon B. Marsh (1798-1875)
or
HOLLINGSIDE, composed in 1861 by John B. Dykes (1823-1876)
(These two tunes make a nice medley)

MARTYN


HOLLINGSIDE


Isaiah 32:2 Each one will be like a shelter from the wind and a refuge from the storm, like streams of water in the desert and the shadow of a great rock in a thirsty land.

Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.

V. 1 Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the billows near me roll,
While the tempest still is high;
Hide me, O my Savior, hide!
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last!

Psalm 36:7 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

V. 2 Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, O leave me not alone!
Still support and comfort me;
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.

Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Acts 3:14 You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you.

Colossians 3:1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

V. 3 Thou, O Christ, art all I want,
More than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy name,
I am all unrighteousness;
Vile and full of sin I am,
Thou art full of truth and grace.

Psalm 36:9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

John 4:14 But whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

Romans 5:20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more.

Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

No comments: