Bible Verse of the Day

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Break Thou the Bread of Life

Break Thou the Bread of Life
Stanzas 1, 2, and 4 were written by Mary A. Lathbury (1842-1913), with stanza 3 written by Alexander Groves (1842-1909)
Sung to BREAD OF LIFE, composed in 1877 by William F. Sherwin (1826-1888)


Psalm 42:1 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.

Matthew 14:19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 

V. 1 Break Thou the bread of life,
Dear Lord, to me, 
As Thou didst break the loaves 
Beside the sea;
Beyond the sacred page
I seek Thee, Lord;
My spirit pants for Thee,
O living Word.

Colossians 3:11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

V. 2 Bless Thou the truth, dear Lord,
To me, to me,
As Thou didst bless the bread
By Galilee;
Then shall all bondage cease,
All fetters fall;
And I shall find my peace,
My all in all.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

V. 3 Thou art the bread of life,
O Lord, to me;
Thy holy Word the truth
That saveth me;
Give me to eat and live
With Thee above;
Teach me to love Thy truth,
For Thou art love.

V. 4 Spirit and life are they,
Words Thou dost speak;
I hasten to obey,
But I am weak;
Thou art my only help,
Thou art my life;
Heeding Thy holy Word
I win the strife.

No comments: